The Machias Wild Blueberry Festival began 41 years ago with an idea from then, 19 year old Dwight Whitney Jr. He thought it would be a fun to have a festival to celebrate the harvest of the blueberry crop. That first year saw a few vendors, some blueberry pies, and a few other events. Boy, have we grown since our humble beginnings.
Going through this website will show you how much this festival has grown, and how much fun it has become. Blueberry Festival weekend has become a time for families to get together at “camp,” for visitors from all over the world to come see for themselves, our little corner of heaven right here in Down East Maine. Folks have come to the festival and ended up buying property to build their summer home, and in some cases, their year round home.
ESPN came a few years back and broadcast live, our blueberry pie eating contest. Please explore the festival via our website, and better yet, come visit us the third weekend in August for a WILDLY fun time!
We offer a BIG THANK-YOU to the many businesses and organizations that do their part to make this festival as Wildly Fun as possible. These individuals and businesses have supported our Machias Wild Blueberry Festival through contributions of time, energy, and donations.
- Auger Hill Farm for making the yummy blueberry syrup
- Bangor Savings Bank for their support
- Hannaford Supermarkets for parking space and advertising support
- Berry Vines for the beautiful landscaping and centerpieces
- Machias Savings Bank for the use of their Community Room
- Maine Wild Blueberry Commission for their support, T-shirts, and prizes
- Maine Wild Blueberry Company/Cherryfield Foods for all the delicious blueberries
- Roosevelt Campobello International Park for shuttle support, vans, and drivers
- School AOS 96 for sharing their parking and kitchen
- Sunrise Opportunities for supplying the shuttle service
- University of Maine at Machias for lending us lots of stuff
- Whitney’s Tool Shed for all their help